Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I'm Islander, and I'm a Prog-Rock Fan

Yes, I'm a Prog-Rock fan. I started with just a little Yes. I knew that it was wrong, but I told myself I could quit whenever I wanted. Then it was Kansas, E.L.O., and then Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

I listened to songs that filled the entire side of an LP album, 20 minute songs based on a footnote to a commentary to the Veddas. I wept. I got goosebumps when I heard Rick Wakeman's synthisizer work. I was a Trooper.

Well, in the early 1980s, Punk killed Prog. Or did it?

S.T. Karnik holds his own one-man Grammy awards ceremony and gives the nod to several new examples of Prog-Rock:
Among the most promising recent debuts are the appealing retro-progressive rock album Peace Among the Ruins, by Presto Ballet, and Motions of Desire, by the talented Norwegian band Magic Pie (the lyrics of which are sung in English). The latter release is delightfully inventive and enjoyable, with a definite classic song in the 20-minute opening track, “Change,” a tune that spices up classic, Yes-style progressive rock with elements of hard rock, soaring power balladry, folksy pop, jazz fusion, funk, and whatever else they found in their kitchen sink during the recording sessions. These guys can play.

As good as those discs were, the Debut Album of the year is A Doorway to Summer, by Moon Safari, produced by Tomas Bodin of the Swedish prog giants the Flower Kings. Like the legendary rockers Yes, Moon Safari creates long, progressive rock songs filled with memorable melodies and bright, cheerful, musical textures. Acoustic guitar, Hammond organ, analog synthesizers, mellotron, soaring vocal harmonies (all sung in English), and other classic early ’70s sounds are prominent in the mix, and there is real energy in the performances. This is one of the most tuneful, buoyant, and delightful albums of recent years.

I can see that I need to put down those 1970s albums for awhile and listen to some new stuff.

The only thing that gives me hesitation is the thought that the only limit to the length to a song by Yes was the length of an LP album side. Somewag pointed out that it CD technology had been available in 1973, Yes's songs would have been 60 minutes long.

How much room is available on my D: drive?

No comments:

Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive

legalisma

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution2.5 License.